Inspection, Removal, Remediation and Prevention
Water damage mold is one of the gravest effects of water damage in a home. Molds are fungal microorganisms that are primarily responsible for the decaying of organic matter. They breed on moist areas and thrive on organic materials such as books, cloth, wood, drywall, and carpets, which are all present in the home. So if your home gets water damaged, the chances of developing mold is very high, especially if the moisture is not removed immediately.
How To Remove Mold Yourself
- Learn how to safely remove mold yourself and save thousands. If you decide to
clean up water damage
mold on your own or hire a professional water damage restoration service to do it for you, make sure that necessary steps to prevent the growth of mold will be taken.
If left alone, the mold may grow in large numbers and can pose a serious risk to your health, especially on the respiratory system. So don’t wait until
mold allergy symptoms
come up in your household. Resolve your mold problem as soon as you can.
How Can I Remove Mold From My House?
If you acted too late and can already see some mold in the house after a water damage, you need to act fast before it spreads. Here are some steps on how to get rid of mold from your house.
Make sure all water, mud, and moisture is gone before starting your water damage mold operation. Otherwise, new mold will just grow even as you get rid of the existing ones. Use effective cleansing solutions for all the walls and other surfaces that got exposed to water, then let them dry well by putting in some fans and opening all the windows. A wet/dry vacuum may also be used to speed up the process; otherwise, drying may take at least a couple of days.
Get a mask or respirator, goggles, old clothes, and some gloves. Mold can easily cause allergies, so always put safety first. Then make sure the area is well-ventilated before you begin. Open all the windows to let air flow freely. While working, take lots of rest in an area with fresh air. Do not work nonstop in the mold-affected area.
Properly dispose all loose materials, such as rags, paper, and books, if they already have molds. It would be pretty difficult to remove mold from them. For glass, plastic, metal, carpeting, and walls, you may keep them but you have to disinfect them thoroughly. For wood and drywall, consider replacing them instead of trying to salvage them. The same goes for carpeting if the mold growth is pretty bad. As a side note, always wear gloves when you handle moldy items.
Disinfect the affected area using a bleach solution. You can prepare this solution by mixing in 1.5 cups of bleach for every gallon of water.
Look for good
mold removal products
. Make sure it is a strong and effective one, but one that does not contain chlorine bleach and other harsh chemicals. Some of the products release toxic fumes that will do more harm than good to the air environment in your home.
Once the water damage mold is gone, they can still leave behind an unpleasant musty smell. Keep the area well-ventilated for a few more days. To be certain, look for an air purifier and deodorizer to take care of the problem.
When to Call the Pros?
There are cases wherein it is unwise to do water damage mold remediation on your own. In such cases, it’ll be much safer to call a professional
service to take care of the problem. For water damage mold, if you asked a contractor to take care of water damage, all you have to do is tell them that you also want their mold remediation service. It is best to call a professional contractor if the growth of mold already exceeds 10 square feet, if you or other household members are allergic to mold, or if you think the work will be a risk to your safety and health in any way. Also, if you have tried getting rid of mold but it keeps on coming back, better give in and call the pros. It would be better to just pay for professional service than continue to compromise your health. The re-growth of mold despite your efforts to get rid of them may be due to the presence of invisible molds that you failed to remove or due to the continuous presence of moisture in the house.
Professional mold removal services
have the necessary expertise and equipment to make sure the mold problem is permanently taken care of. They usually do a
to check for both visible and invisible mold, and they have special equipment such as dehumidifiers to help get rid of all moisture thoroughly, even from rooms that are prone to moisture such as basements.
Water Damage Mold and Your Insurance Policy
The worst part about the growth of mold in a water damaged home is that mold removal is generally excluded from regular
home insurance policies
. Mold takes anywhere between 48 and 72 hours to start growing. Thus, water damage mold removal will not be covered since it was your failure to act quickly that led to mold growth. To avoid this problem, report water damage to your insurance provider and clean up the water damage, either on your own or with the help of professional
water damage restoration services
, within 24 hours. This way, you can do mold mitigation and remediation instead of mold removal.
Mold Prevention Techniques
Do not leave your home vulnerable to future mold growth. Mold won’t grow on its own. It needs moist areas to survive plus wet areas or items on which to thrive. Thus, regular cleansing of areas that are prone to humidity like the bathroom, the kitchen, and the laundry area, is necessary help keep mold at bay. Wet laundry should be dried outdoors if you do not have a clothes dryer, and items that molds love should be stored in dry, well-ventilated areas. These items include paper, clothing, and food.
Also, the best way to prevent the growth of mold in the first place is to plan the ventilation of all areas of the house properly. If an area does not have enough ventilation, get an air conditioner. If you are willing to invest, buy a dehumidifier to keep the humidity levels low and thus not ideal for mold growth. Get your copy of the
Homeowners Complete Guide To Mold Remediation
and learn how to safely remove mold from your home.